Seminar in honor of Kees Schouhamer ImminkKees Schouhamer Immink (Turing Machines Inc) received the 2017 IEEE Medal of Honor on May 25, 2017, in San Francisco, CA, USA, "for pioneering contributions to video, audio, and data recording technology, including compact disc, DVD, and Blu-ray". In order to celebrate the unique fact that this award was bestowed upon a member of the Benelux information theory community, a seminar in honor of Kees was held in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on June 16, 2017. The venue was the beautiful Sociëteit KR&ZV "De Maas" (Royal Maas Yacht Club). The seminar, which was preceded by a lunch and followed by a reception and dinner, attracted 45 participants. It was organized by Han Vinck, Jos Weber, and Peter de With, and sponsored by the Shannon Foundation, the IEEE Benelux Chapter on Information Theory, and the Werkgemeenschap voor Informatie- en Communicatietheorie (WIC). Presentations were given by
- Han Vinck (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany): Four myths about Kees Immink
- John Watkinson (Run Length Limited, UK): Impact of Kees Immink’s work on digital data- video- and audio recording
- Hiroshi Kamabe (Gifu University, Japan): Immink Codes for Phase Change Memory
- Ronald Aarts (Philips Research and Eindhoven University of Technology, NL): Kees and his channel coding for CD
- Peter de With (Eindhoven University of Technology, NL): In the beginning ..... there was Justesen
- Dirk Van Hertem (KU Leuven, Belgium and Chairman of the IEEE Benelux Section): The IEEE and its Medal of Honor
- Jos Weber (Delft University of Technology, NL): Kees Immink: his current work, his importance to the Benelux IT Community, and his UJ Honorary Doctorate
10th Asia-Europe Workshop on Concepts in Information TheoryThe AEW10 was held in Boppard, Germany, on June 21-23, 2017.
The WIC sponsored this event.
WIC Symposium 201738th WIC Symposium on Information Theory in the Benelux / 7th joint WIC IEEE SP Symposium on Information Theory and Signal Processing in the Benelux.
Date: May 11 and 12, 2017.
Location: Delft, The Netherlands.
Keynote speakers: Kees Schouhamer Immink (recipient of the 2017 IEEE Medal of Honor) and Lieven Vandenberghe (UCLA).
Midwinter Meeting 2017Topic: Quantum Computation and Communication.
Date: Februari 16, 2017.
Location: Zwarte Doos, Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
The talks can be found here.
Schalkwijk SymposiumSeminar on the occasion of of Piet Schalkwijk's 80th birthday.
Date: November 16, 2016.
Location: van Trierzaal, TU Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
For a report of this event see page 25 of the December 2016 IEEE IT Society Newsletter, which can be found here.